Can you believe we’re already halfway through May?! This month we talk all things Mother’s Day and the importance of playing the motherly role. We all have a mother. Whether it is your biological mama, your foster mama, your kookum, your auntie or maybe even your father who played both roles. When we hear that word, we often think of women, but mothering is much more about a feeling than a person. It is about being protective, caring and kind. And it’s exactly what the world needs more of at this moment.
Below are five of my favourite books about motherhood and parenting. These reads are perfect for brand new mothers or even those who are mama’s to adults. All of them have the power to change your life:
- And Now We Have Everything– Meaghan O’Connell’s inspiring novel shares the experience of becoming a mother as a young adult and all the emotions and life changes that go along with it. I loved reading every minute of this touching story.
- We Live for the We– Dani McClain’s empowering story doesn’t only touch on the struggles of parenting, but also the journey of parenting in uncertain times as a black, first-time mom. Dani’s wise words had me hooked from the first page, and I’m sure it will be the same for you!
- Bloom: Finding Beauty in the Unexpected– For anyone, especially mothers, Kelle Hampton’s empowering message will surely tug on your heart strings. This book makes you pause and realize the power of perspective, and how to appreciate the unexpected moments throughout our lives.
- Motherhood– Sheila Heti’s novel is bound to trigger important questions and thoughts on motherhood and parenting in general. Her words not only describe what is gained from this journey of raising a child but also what is lost. It sparked a lot of perspective for me, which is why I’d consider it a favourite!
- The Magic of Motherhood– This enlightening read by Ashlee Gadd has something so refreshing about it, and I would highly recommend it to anyone. I loved this author’s encouraging words describing the journey of motherhood in a humorous way.
Sweet ones, I cannot tell you how much being a mother has changed my life. Perception is a function of experience. As I grow as a mother I am more and more amazed by my own mama and become more aware of her sacrifices and devotion. As we honour all mothers this month, I hope you sink into a few of these books and appreciate those around us providing protection, care and kindness. Xo